Sunday, October 14, 2012

From tee to cardigan

Now on to the tutorial. We are going to be changing a plain, everyday tee shirt into a cardigan similar to this.



















All you are going to need for this is:

a tee shirt

gross grain ribbon to match (or not if you prefer)

a lighter or flame source

a sewing machine

scissors

pins




Step one, is the tee shirt. We are going to be cutting it down the center, make sure you press to get all the wrinkles out of it. I recommend prewashing and drying prior to doing this.

























Step 2: Turn the shirt inside out, matching up the side seams and shoulder seams as evenly as possible. I did mine inside out because I found it easier to find the center front.















Step 3: Once you are absolutely sure you have the found the center. Check again to double check ;). Now you are doing to cut on the center fold line you created by folding the front in half.






















See all cut.






















Step 4: now wear are going to heat seal the ends of our ribbon. You could use fray check if you like, but I much prefer a good old fashioned flame. Simply run the flame close to the edge of the ribbon. You will see the ends start to melt. Its really as easy as that.















Step 5: Press the ribbon in half length wise to almost form a bias tape.
















Step 6: 'wrap' the ribbon round the edges of the center front . Making sure that you don't pull the shirt down, and pin it. I folded the top and bottom of my ribbon under so no edges were shown or hanging out to itch sensitive little necks.























Step 7: Sew the ribbon , I sewed close to the edges of the ribbon.

















Step 8: Add a clasp to the top if you chose, I used a large hook and eye. Now its time to proudly wear your new cardigan.

Here is Lily in a dress I made her for Christmas that she could not wait to wear but had to wait because the dress is short sleeves. She is absolutely thrilled and looks mighty cute if I must say so myself.

























Dress pattern is the Holiday Dress from Birdiful Stitches on Etsy. Sorry no tutorial on how I used a woven instead of a knit. But basically I made her a size 6, added seam allowance, cut the center back and used a zipper.


If you have any questions feel free to comment or email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment